Saturday, September 25, 2021

Week 38 Review: The Pretenders

From Goodreads:
In this conclusion to The Similars duology, Emma must figure out who she really is, decide between two boys with the same face, and stop a dangerous plan based on revenge.

Emma is still reeling from the events of her junior year at Darkwood. Not only is her best friend, Oliver, shockingly alive, but the boy she loves—his Similar, Levi—is still on the island where he grew up, stranded with his deranged creator.

More importantly, she is grappling with who she really is. Emma can't accept the hard truths she learned last year and refuses to share her secrets with anyone, isolating herself from her friends and Ollie.

But when more of the Similars' creator's plot is revealed, Emma and her friends will have to try to stop him from putting a plan into motion that could destroy everyone she loves. 

My Review:
I enjoyed this book, though I do wish that I'd read it closer to when I read the first book, because I forgot a lot of what happened in that book, to these characters, how they related to each other, and what threats they were facing. I eventually got it, but it would've been a more enjoyable experience if I'd read them closer together! 

Sometimes I don't know what I felt for Emma. She got put in these situations, but she couldn't do much about them. And I felt bad for her, but I also felt so frustrated. There were two near the beginning, one with the kids that don't want the clones at the school, and the other with the Headmaster, and Emma basically does nothing, and walks away. And it was just so frustrating that they were getting away with it!

She's in a interesting position, she has all these secrets about the Similars, and in the political climate is a hot topic, and emotions were heated. But then there's this new plot that's uncovered, and things unravelled from there, it was a pretty intense ride!

But oh, that big twist! It worked so well and it was so shocking, and put all the pieces together and was just so darned clever! Loved how that worked out, it was a really fantastic ending! And oh, it was just so satisfying! 

I had a really great time reading this book, and I've love to read more by Rebecca Hanover! 

Author: Rebecca Hanover
Series: The Similars #2
Read: September 21st, 2021
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a End of Series 2021 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: December 10th 2019
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!