Saturday, November 13, 2021

Week 45 Review: I Hope You Get This Message

From Goodreads:
Seven days. Seven days. The Earth might end in seven days.

When news stations start reporting that Earth has been contacted by a planet named Alma, the world is abuzz with rumors that the alien entity is giving mankind only few days to live before they hit the kill switch on civilization.

For high school truant Jesse Hewitt, though, nothing has ever felt permanent. Not the guys he hooks up with. Not the jobs his underpaid mom works so hard to hold down. Life has dealt him one bad blow after another — so what does it matter if it all ends now? Cate Collins, on the other hand, is desperate to use this time to find the father she's never met, the man she grew up hearing wild stories about, most of which she didn't believe. And then there's Adeem Khan. While coding and computer programming have always come easily to him, forgiveness doesn't. He can't seem to forgive his sister for leaving, even though it's his last chance.

With only seven days to face their truths and right their wrongs, Jesse, Cate, and Adeem's paths collide even as their worlds are pulled apart. 

My Review:
This book, oh man! I love the premise, of the world being warned that humanity is going to be wiped out in a week, and these various characters reactions to it, of what you'd most like to fix in your life, to have no regrets. Well, in the case of Jesse, not actually believing it's true. So that was fantastic to read!

We follow three characters who start off unconnected, but as the potential end of the world comes closer, they start making connections, and more, and when that final one clicked into place, that was really sweet to read. I loved watching them at various time, wonder about this possible ending.

There's a lot going on, between the personal drama in their lives, this crisis, and then the trial the aliens were having was interspersed. I did like that the character who had the most growth to do, Jesse, did get that growth, because he was my least favourite character in the beginning by a wide margin, and it was a small margin by the end! What with his scheme to make money off of the desperate. Sure, he was, too, in a different way, but still, not cool! 

That ending though? I'm not one for ambiguity-was that light humanity ending, or was it the dawn of another day? I don't know, and I want to, darn it! It could be either one, and the need to know which is driving me nuts! 

This was a fantastic story of the flaws and strengths, the depth of range of the human race, and I loved it!

Author: Farah Naz Rishi
Read: November 7th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: October 22nd 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!