Saturday, November 20, 2021

Week 46 Review: The Bone Ships

From Goodreads:
A brilliantly imagined saga of honor, glory, and warfare, The Bone Ships is the epic launch of a new fantasy from David Gemmell Award-nominated RJ Barker.

Two nations at war. A prize beyond compare.

For generations, the Hundred Isles have built their ships from the bones of ancient dragons to fight an endless war.

The dragons disappeared, but the battles for supremacy persisted.

Now the first dragon in centuries has been spotted in far-off waters, and both sides see a chance to shift the balance of power in their favour. Because whoever catches it will win not only glory, but the war.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book, though it did take a while. I'd previously started it a while back, and I just had to put it down, I just didn't like the world as a whole, it was just so harsh. But I tried again, and while I still despised those elements, the rest of the story won me over.

One thing that I do have to say, is that the one big element of the world that I couldn't stand was the child sacrifice. Either their own, or their enemies. The countries are at war, and I'm like, maybe they're treating you like this because you treated them like this? But on the other hand, one great thing about this world was that same sex relationships were the only ones allowed on ship, that was really great!

If you didn't read the synopsis, you wouldn't know about the dragon being spotted was a thing in this book, at least for the world and the characters to be established. Though we did know that something was going on, because for Meas to be there, something had to be up! 

There was a really compelling plot, with the dragons being a non-existence resource-until one is spotted. I had to know what was going to happen next, with this crew who were some of the worst, and were shaped up into a pretty well knit group! 

This was a fantastic start to this series, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here! 

Author: R.J. Barker
Series: The Tide Child #1
Read: November 13th, 2021
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Orbit
Published: September 24th 2019
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!