Saturday, November 27, 2021

Week 47 Review: The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein

From Goodreads:
Elizabeth Lavenza hasn't had a proper meal in weeks. Her thin arms are covered with bruises from her "caregiver," and she is on the verge of being thrown into the streets . . . until she is brought to the home of Victor Frankenstein, an unsmiling, solitary boy who has everything--except a friend.

Victor is her escape from misery. Elizabeth does everything she can to make herself indispensable--and it works. She is taken in by the Frankenstein family and rewarded with a warm bed, delicious food, and dresses of the finest silk. Soon she and Victor are inseparable.

But her new life comes at a price. As the years pass, Elizabeth's survival depends on managing Victor's dangerous temper and entertaining his every whim, no matter how depraved. Behind her blue eyes and sweet smile lies the calculating heart of a girl determined to stay alive no matter the cost . . . as the world she knows is consumed by darkness. 

My Review:
This book was so excellent  and so easy to read, and of course very dark! I've never read the original because I'm not one for classics, but it's spawned some pretty amazing retellings, and this one just joined the group for me! I loved reading it!

I loved the different parts of this book, of going to Victor's college town, to being back home, to the part where the truth is revealed, and action is taken! It was such a wild ride, but it made sense with each and every step!

I felt so badly for Elizbeth. She was in a horrible position, to be attached to this family, but not a part of it, with no money, no prospects, and dependent on being needed in Victor's life to continue as she is. But oh, if she only knew!

Things just keep getting worse and worse for her, she keeps having to cover for Victor-and he's doing some pretty awful things. But when she found out of all that he'd done, I loved how she took action, and how that ending went was just thrilling to read and it worked out very well, given the circumstances! 

This was a fantastic read, and I love that it exists! 

Author: Kiersten White
Read: November 24th, 2021
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Historical Fiction 2021 Book, SAC 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Published: September 25th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!