Saturday, April 9, 2022

Week 14 Review: Sense and Second-Degree Murder

From Goodreads:
Three of Jane Austen's classic novels receive a murder mystery makeover in this romantic and thrilling three-book series that's perfect for fans of The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy and Stalking Jack the Ripper. In Sense and Second-Degree Murder, aspiring scientist Elinor Dashwood and her sister Marianne, a budding detective, work together to solve the mystery of their father's murder.

When eighteen-year-old aspiring scientist Elinor Dashwood discovers her beloved father slumped over the desk of his office study, she knows his death means dire straits for the Dashwood women. To make matters worse, an outdated will entails his estate—including Norland & Company, the private investigation firm where her younger sister Marianne worked as her father's partner and protégé—to their half-brother and his haughty wife, who waste no time in forcing the Dashwoods out of their home and into a cramped apartment on London's Barton Street.

But before they go, the Dashwood sisters make a startling discovery that points to foul play, and the killer might be family.

Obviously, the girls must investigate. It could be dangerous; it could ruin their reputations; and most importantly, it won't bring back their father. But if the Dashwood sisters can combine their talents and bring their father's murderer to justice, it may bring them all some comfort—and it might even lead to love.

My Review:
This was another amazing historical mystery! I really enjoyed the first, but I was a bit apprehensive going in, because Pride and Prejudice is the only Jane Austen book I read and seen the movie of, so the only one that I knew the story and the characters decently well. But even without knowing the original book, this was another great read!

I've never read Sense and Sensibility, and I've never seen an adaptation. So this is one where I wasn't familiar with the original story, but I don't think that impacted my enjoyment, since I'm not one to read most classics. Plus, I knew that I loved the first one, and I had such a great time with this one! 

This whole situation-with the family basically kicked out when their father dies, because of an old will, was pretty infuriating. But with the murder twist, well, that added a layer of complication to the grief. I loved seeing the different ways the sisters helped with the investigation! And on top of that, they both have love interests, and I loved watching those play out, as well! 

Elinor is a scientist, she's methodical and logical. Marianne is more impulsive, and more of the detective, so it was like a historical team up version of CSI. So that was really enjoyable to read! Plus we had a brief mention of Lizzie and Darcy, so that was really great! 

I had such a great time with this book, and I can't wait for book 3!

Author: Tirzah Price
Series: Jane Austen Murder Mystery #2
Read: April 7th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Loved her first book, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, Historical Fiction 2022 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: April 5th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!