Saturday, April 23, 2022

Week 16 Reviews: The Ash-Born Boy, The Near Witch


From Goodreads:
All-new deluxe edition of an out-of-print gem, The Near Witch containing in-universe short story "The Ash-Born Boy."

Before he came to Near...
Before he met Lexi...
Before they faced the witch...
Who was the boy named Cole?

Follow us to Dale, a city on a hill, where in a matter of days fire will devour everything. Meet the Lord and Lady, and their son, the boy destined to inherit all...until everything turns to ash.

It's time to learn the truth behind the stranger's story.

From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Lexi, who lives on an enchanted moor at the edge of the village of Near, must solve the mystery when, the day after a mysterious boy appears in town, children start disappearing.

My first review of The Near Witch
My Review:
I loved reading these stories! Its the first time that I read The Ash-Born Boy, but it's been just over 10 years since I first read The Near Witch, so I'm really glad that I reread it! It's such a great story, and it's the start of a really great career for Victoria Schwab, so I'm really happy!

The Ash-Born Boy, oh, did this story hurt! That his mother's husband did that to him, well, it doesn't teach him control. And then to go around and say that it'd be his fault if he didn't use the magic to heal his mother-you've taught him not to use it. I honestly hated Lord Dale! 

Sometimes I was so mad at this world on behalf of these characters. The way Lexi is treated-because she's a girl-is so thoroughly frustrating. And the way that the Near Witch was treated, that was heart-breaking, and while her actions aren't condoned, the reasoning is understandable.

I am a bit confused as to why they had so many attempts to get the bones of the Near Witch. I mean, I was entranced while reading the book, and that there were reasons, but now that I've finished, they've slipped my mind, and it seems like, why didn't what they'd come to do get done? 

These were really great reads, and I need to read more of her books! I only have one or two that I need to read now! 

Author: Victoria Schwab
Series: The Near Witch #0.5, 1
First Read: March 13th, 2012
Read: April 22nd, 22nd, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike, Library
Reason Why: Rereading! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Books! 
Publisher: Hyperion, Blackstone Audio
Published: May 15th 2012, August 2nd 2011

The Ash-Born Boy:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Near Witch:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!