Saturday, April 9, 2022

Week 14 Review: Middlegame

From Goodreads:
New York Times bestselling and Alex, Nebula, and Hugo-Award-winning author Seanan McGuire introduces readers to a world of amoral alchemy, shadowy organizations, and impossible cities in this standalone fantasy.

Meet Roger. Skilled with words, languages come easily to him. He instinctively understands how the world works through the power of story.

Meet Dodger, his twin. Numbers are her world, her obsession, her everything. All she understands, she does so through the power of math.

Roger and Dodger aren't exactly human, though they don't realise it. They aren't exactly gods, either. Not entirely. Not yet.

Meet Reed, skilled in the alchemical arts like his progenitor before him. Reed created Dodger and her brother. He's not their father. Not quite. But he has a plan: to raise the twins to the highest power, to ascend with them and claim their authority as his own.

Godhood is attainable. Pray it isn't attained.

My first review of Middlegame
My Review:
Reading this book again was so great! I had to reread it because it's such a big and crazy book, and it's been a minute since I first read it, so I had to reread it before moving on to book 2. And I'm really glad that I did, getting to read this story again, getting refamiliarized with this world and how it works. 

Reading this book was a was a really great idea. The first time I was just going along for the ride, not really understanding what the heck was going on. But having read it previously, I had that baseline, and it was much easier to understand what was going on.

I love the story of Roger and Dodger, and how they're the embodiment of the Doctrine, with Roger having words and Dodger having math. And how they can use their power to reset their timeline, making changes each time they fail, to try and get to a lifetime where they succeed. It's such a great read of such epic proportions! 

Knowing that this book now has a sequel, I'm interested to see where things will go, because this story is all fairly wrapped up. Sure, they're going to do one more final go round, but not until they've worked out the best path. So I can't wait to see where the sequel goes!

Loved reading this book again, and I'm so excited to read Seasonal Fears!

Author: Seanan McGuire
Series: Alchemical Journeys #1
First Read: May 30th, 2019
Read: April 8th, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book!
Publisher: Tor.com
Published: May 7th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!