Saturday, April 16, 2022

Week 15 Review: The Sacrifice

From Goodreads:
An island oasis turns deadly when a terrifying legend threatens to kill off visitors one by one in this haunting novel from the highly acclaimed author of The Girl from the Well and the Bone Witch trilogy.

Pristine beaches, lush greenery, and perfect weather, the island of Kisapmata would be the vacation destination...if not for the curse. The Philippine locals speak of it in hushed voices and refuse to step foot on the island. They know the lives it has claimed. They won't be next.

A Hollywood film crew won't be dissuaded. Legend claims a Dreamer god sleeps, waiting to grant unimaginable powers in exchange for eight sacrifices. The producers are determined to document the evidence. And they convince Alon, a local teen, to be their guide.

Within minutes of their arrival, a giant sinkhole appears, revealing a giant balete tree with a mummified corpse entwined in its gnarled branches. And the crew start seeing strange visions. Alon knows they are falling victim to the island's curse. If Alon can't convince them to leave, there is no telling who will survive. Or how much the Dreamer god will destroy...

My Review:
Well I devoured this book! It wasn't on my TBR, but it sounded so excellent-and I love Rin Chuepco's writing, so I just had to read it! It was such a great read, and I couldn't put it down, absolutely loved everything about it!

This book was so atmospheric, so dark and spooky, and I loved it! An October release date is pretty perfect for this book! This mythology of a god on an island, who takes sacrifices, and gives power, is so interesting! Though I was slightly confused about some of the details.

Alon was a mysterious character, no matter that were were in their head. They were just trying their best to keep everyone alive-and these people weren't making it easy on them. I really enjoyed learning why everyone was there-as everything was going to chaos.

As the sacrifices were made, I just wanted to know what was going on, and it was easy to find out, because I just flew through reading this book. And that ending, oh, that was so fantastic! It was heartbreaking, but oh, so good! It was really fantastic to read! 

This was an amazing read, and I can't wait for whatever Rin Chupeco writes next! 

Author: Rin Chupeco
Read: April 9th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Expected Publication: October 4th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!