Saturday, May 14, 2022

Week 19 Review: Blue Hearts of Mars

From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Retta Heikkinen is in love with a boy--a thoroughly gorgeous, captivating, and mysterious boy known as Hemingway. The situation is rather ideal: he likes her, she likes him. There's just one little problem.

He's a blue heart, an android.

Being in a relationship is its own complicated mess, but how long can a forbidden love last? Soon Retta discovers a secret that could destroy the uneasy truce between the blue hearts and humans, which makes life under the domes on Mars possible. Would exposing what she knows make things better or worse? And how can she know for certain without exposing the secret?

My Review:
I had a good time reading this book, but I would've enjoyed reading it more if I'd read it more around the time that it came out. Retta was just a bit young, and while that explains some of her actions, that doesn't mean I had the best time reading about them.

There were a few decisions that had me scratching my head. We're popped right into this world with not a lot of context, and I would've loved a bit more detail about this world. And it doesn't help that we're in the head of Retta, who while she's 17, seemed to be on the young side, and pretty immature.

What most interested me about this book was the androids, I just find the whole idea pretty cool. Though of course human flaws come in, and they are treated pretty horribly. So finding out that secret, well, yeah, that was pretty intense, and I had to know what was going to happen next!

I had a pretty great time with that ending, I really liked where things left off, how they resolved. And that final reveal was really excellent! All in all, it was a good book, but one that I wish I'd read sooner, because I think I aged out of it. 

I enjoyed this book, but it's not one that I'll think about much in the future. 

Author: Nicole Grotepas 
Read: May 12th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Nicole Grotepas
Published: January 11th 2013
5/5 Hearts
1/5 Books
1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!