Saturday, May 28, 2022

Week 21 Review: Spear

From Goodreads:
The girl knows she has a destiny before she even knows her name. She grows up in the wild, in a cave with her mother, but visions of a faraway lake come to her on the spring breeze, and when she hears a traveler speak of Artos, king of Caer Leon, she knows that her future lies at his court.

And so, brimming with magic and eager to test her strength, she breaks her covenant with her mother and, with a broken hunting spear and mended armour, rides on a bony gelding to Caer Leon. On her adventures she will meet great knights and steal the hearts of beautiful women. She will fight warriors and sorcerers. And she will find her love, and the lake, and her fate.

My Review:
Man, this was a really fantastic read! I love King Arthur retellings but a feminist one sounded really great! I had a great time reading the story of a girl who goes on this adventure, and it was just a really great read!

In the author notes, it talks about how this book is set in the Early Middle Ages, and in Wales, and draws from a variety of the retellings of King Arthur, and how Percival, or the older, old Welsh name, Peretur, which goes with the setting. And while it's information that I know little about, it was an interesting setting, with the historical details! 

This is a gender-bent story, Peretur is a girl, and is attracted to other girls. But she's able to pass as a guy, which given she wants to be a warrior, a Companion for Artos's court, is a good thing. She was determined and fair and I loved reading her story! 

But there's secrets-and truths-in her past, that make things complicated for her at the court. Artos is being driven mad by the sword-and wants an heir, and the cup that she grew up with, could help. I loved the mix of legends and myths and magic! 

I had a really great time listening to this story, and I'm glad that I did so! 

Author: Nicola Griffith
Read: May 25th, 2022
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2022 Retelling Reading Challenge Book and a SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Published: April 19th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!