Saturday, May 28, 2022

Week 21 Review: The Kindred

From Goodreads:
To save a galactic kingdom from revolution, Kindred mind-pairings were created to ensure each and every person would be seen and heard, no matter how rich or poor…

Joy Abara knows her place. A commoner from the lowly planet Hali, she lives a simple life—apart from the notoriety that being Kindred to the nobility's most infamous playboy brings.

Duke Felix Hamdi has a plan. He will exasperate his noble family to the point that they agree to let him choose his own future and finally meet his Kindred face-to-face.

Then the royal family is assassinated, putting Felix next in line for the throne…and accused of the murders. Someone will stop at nothing until he's dead, which means they'll target Joy, too. Meeting in person for the first time as they steal a spacecraft and flee amid chaos might not be ideal…and neither is crash-landing on the strange backward planet called Earth. But hiding might just be the perfect way to discover the true strength of the Kindred bond and expose a scandal—and a love—that may decide the future of a galaxy.

My Review:
Oh, this was an amazing read! I loved and hated this world, the Kindred was such an interesting idea. And oh, how it played out for Joy and Felix! I loved reading their story, and being along for the ride with their adventure!

My one big question going into this book was whether it was set in the same world as The Sound of Stars. The way that book ended was evil, and I was hoping that it would be. And oh, was I pleased with the answer! At first I was confused as to the timing, but we did get answers there, as well! 

It was really great to get to know Joy and Felix. They're Kindred, their minds were linked by a chip that were inserted into their brains. But they're from wildly different backgrounds, he's a duke, and she's from the the poorest planet in the Monchuri empire. So there's all sorts of complications, and that unlike most Kindred pairings, they're not to become romantic. But come on, you think that's going to stop them? 

Joy's journey was one of confidence. She's been regulated to this role, where she really doesn't have a chance to follow her dreams, and where she's not prized. So she can't see her own worth, and I loved watching that develop. Felix's journey was partly about power, and partly about love. He's been raised in luxury, and he's a bit of an asshole, but there's also a few secrets there in more ways then one. But he loves Joy, and I had such a great time with their story! 

It was really fantastic to see more of this world. I loved seeing more, from the tech to the people, which was really great. The Ilori play a part, but not much compared to the first book. And I'm excited about what it added, because they're going to be allies in the fight against the Ilori, and I can't wait! 

And while I was looking up information about her upcoming releases, I found a facebook post that talks about a 3rd book in the Starry Eyed Universe, that'll have characters from The Sound of Stars and this book, and I'm so excited for it! 

This was another great read by Alechia Dow, and I can't wait for more! 

Author: Alechia Dow 
Read: May 26th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Loved her first book and it sounded really good and it's a SAC 2022 Book, Sophomore Challenge Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press 
Published: January 4th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!