Saturday, October 1, 2022

Week 39 Review: Little Wrecks

From Goodreads:
In this haunting and explosive debut, Meredith Miller explores the truth behind three girls on the cusp of adulthood, and all the shocking realizations that come under the guise of growing up. Perfect for fans of I'll Give You the Sun and Girl in Pieces.

Ruth, Magda, and Isabel are different from everyone else. They can see beneath the seemingly perfect, cookie-cutter exterior of their small town of Highbone, Long Island. They know that below the surface, each house is filled with secrets, indifference, and violence.

These girls refuse to become willing participants of these fake lives. Instead, they are determined to fight every condescending comment, every unwelcome touch, and every lie they've been told.

When the opportunity to commit the perfect crime appears, the girls finally start to see their way out of Highbone. But for the first time, Ruth, Magda, and Isabel are keeping secrets from each other. As they drift apart, the weight of reality starts to set in. These girls can't save each other. They might not even be able to save themselves.

My Review:
This book, oh man, this book. I don't know what I was expecting, but I wish the word literary was in the synopsis, so I wouldn't have picked it up, because I don't do well with literary, and that is what this book is. Bah.

The synopsis was interesting, with the girls not wanting to be a part of these fake lives, to escape the violence that simmers in their town, and the harsh realties of being female, and growing up female, in this world. It was contemporary, well, historical contemporary, so I was a bit nervous about it, but oh, it was more than that that made this book not for me.

Meredith Miller had a way with words. The way she described things was just a little bit out there, that things were bigger and more expansive. And I had a hard time going along with that, my brain doesn't want to accept that.

This is a book about a group of friends who steal some drugs, and then everything that unfolds from there. We see their different lives, the things going on, and I just wanted to give these girls a hug. It was at times scary and others awful, the situations that they got into! Romantic relationships and family ones sometimes can really mess you up! 

This reading experience of this book has me scared to read How We Learned to Lie, which is apparently set in the 80's, and this is set 4 years after the Vietnam war, so 1979-and they're set in the same town. But I'd like to read more of my review books...

Overall the story was great, but yeah, this book wasn't for me. 

Author: Meredith Miller
Read: September 24th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, Historical Fiction 2022 Book and a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Harper Collins
Published: June 13th 2017
4/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!