Saturday, July 11, 2020

Week 28 Review: The Antidote

From Goodreads:
Magic is not allowed, under any circumstances — even if it could save someone's life. Instead, there are herbal remedies and traditional techniques that have been painstakingly recorded in lieu of using the mystical arts. Fee knows this, so she keeps her magic a secret.

Except her best friend, Xavi, is deathly ill. He's also the crown prince. Saving him is important, not only for her, but for the entire kingdom.

Fee's desperation to save her friend means she can barely contain the magic inside her. And after the tiniest of slips, Fee is thrust into a dark and secretive world that is as alluring as it is dangerous.

If she gives in, it could mean she can save Xavi. But it also means that those who wish to snuff out magic might just snuff her out in the process.

My Review:
This was a really interesting book. I read the synopsis way back when it was put on Edelweiss as an ARC, but I hadn't really read that since then, so that's over a year, so I didn't really know what this book was about, so I really enjoyed diving in!

I do have one complaint about this book. There were points where what Fee was thinking about jumped all around, and I didn't get how she got from point a to point b. It was a little confusing. It was all things that needed to be in the story, but there was just odd jumps and it could've been smoother.

One thing that was a little different about this book, was there were two parts, in the two countries that they were in, and each part had a prologue. Which was really great, because we got to see some of the past, that explained some of the mysteries of the present, so that was really great!

These characters were really great to read about, I really enjoyed their interactions, what with the siblings and betrothed stuff going on. Plus there's the mystery of what happened to Xavi, why he's sick, what happened with the plague that wiped out the adults in their country. Oh. and magic. The magic and the mysteries there, it was so intriguing and I loved learning more!

How it all worked out, that was really great! I'm glad that there's a happy ending, though I'm not quite sure how it'll all work out, given all the royalty and countries to rule these characters collectively had. But they have a great future ahead of them!

I really enjoyed this book, and I need to read her debut book now!

Author: Shelley Sackier
Read: July 6th, 2020
Source: Bought/Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: February 5th 2019
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!