Saturday, July 25, 2020

Week 30 Review: The Left-Handed Booksellers of London

From Goodreads:
A girl's quest to find her father leads her to an extended family of magical fighting booksellers who police the mythical Old World of England when it intrudes on the modern world. From the bestselling master of teen fantasy, Garth Nix.

In a slightly alternate London in 1983, Susan Arkshaw is looking for her father, a man she has never met. Crime boss Frank Thringley might be able to help her, but Susan doesn't get time to ask Frank any questions before he is turned to dust by the prick of a silver hatpin in the hands of the outrageously attractive Merlin.

Merlin is a young left-handed bookseller (one of the fighting ones), who with the right-handed booksellers (the intellectual ones), are an extended family of magical beings who police the mythic and legendary Old World when it intrudes on the modern world, in addition to running several bookshops.

Susan's search for her father begins with her mother's possibly misremembered or misspelt surnames, a reading room ticket, and a silver cigarette case engraved with something that might be a coat of arms.

Merlin has a quest of his own, to find the Old World entity who used ordinary criminals to kill his mother. As he and his sister, the right-handed bookseller Vivien, tread in the path of a botched or covered-up police investigation from years past, they find this quest strangely overlaps with Susan's. Who or what was her father? Susan, Merlin, and Vivien must find out, as the Old World erupts dangerously into the New. 

My Review:
Oh, wow, this book was amazing to read! I loved the world, it was so interesting, these characters were just vibrant, I loved Susan and Merlin, and Vivien was pretty excellent, as well. And I really enjoyed this plot with the mystery of who Susan's dad is. This book was just amazing!

The whole thing with the Old World and the New World, with the Left-Handed Book Sellers and the Right-Handed Book Sellers, I just wanted to learn more about it all! Plus there's the Even Hands, and yeah, I just wanted all the details!

Susan was interesting, because she was coming into this new world-but it turns out, she was a part of it all along and just didn't know it. Merlin was flamboyant and loud and a fashionista, and I just loved him! I loved how they both tiptoed around each other, it was just so cute!

My one question is, what was it about this story, that meant that it was set in this time period? I mean, it could just be that Garth Nix really wanted to, but if not, was there a reason? I can't think of any, and not knowing if there is or isn't is going to bug me!

Loved reading this book, and I would love to read more of this world!

Author: Garth Nix
Read: July 22nd, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love his writing, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Published: September 22nd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!