Saturday, July 25, 2020

Week 30 Review: The Black Coats

From Goodreads:
ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE. IF YOU HURT US, WE'RE COMING FOR YOU.

Moxie meets Female of the Species in this powerful, thrilling, and deeply resonant novel about a secret society of girls who plot revenge on the men who hurt them.

The enigmatic Black Coats have been exacting vengeance on men who have hurt girls and women for years. The killer of Thea's cousin went free, and Thea has just received an invitation to join the Black Coats' balancings—acts of revenge meant to teach a lesson. Justice for Natalie has never felt so close.

But as the balancings escalate in brutality, Thea's clear-cut mission begins to unravel and she must decide just how far she is willing to go for justice.

Because when the line between justice and revenge is paper thin, it's hard not to get cut.

My Review:
This was a really awesome book to read! The whole concept was pretty intriguing, and I just wanted to see how it all played out. The pacing was a little bit off, with the escalating balancings, realizing something was wrong, and doing something about it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but  I felt it.

Yeah, this whole concept, of female vigilantes getting back at those who harm women, it's dark and thrilling, because while we know it's wrong, we also know that we're unlikely to get justice from the justice system. Plus the teams with the different roles made so much sense!

I really enjoyed her relationship with Drew, because it was a point of conflict, because her time is being pulled in two different directions and she's caught in the middle. So that was fun to read, watching her deal with the repercussions on both sides!

Man, that ending! I'm so confused about Sahil, because did I miss something? Another review mentioned that he said he was adopted, but I don't remember reading that. Either way, his actions in the end were confusing! Though that epilogue was fantastic to read!

I enjoyed this book, it was a really entertaining read!

Author: Colleen Oakes
Read: July 19th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good and I've enjoyed her books, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: February 12th 2019
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!