Saturday, July 18, 2020

Week 29 Review: Deathless Divide

From Goodreads:
The sequel to Dread Nation is a journey of revenge and salvation across a divided America.

After the fall of Summerland, Jane McKeene hoped her life would get simpler: Get out of town, stay alive, and head west to California to find her mother.

But nothing is easy when you're a girl trained in putting down the restless dead, and a devastating loss on the road to a protected village called Nicodermus has Jane questioning everything she thought she knew about surviving in 1880's America.

What's more, this safe haven is not what it appears - as Jane discovers when she sees familiar faces from Summerland amid this new society. Caught between mysteries and lies, the undead, and her own inner demons, Jane soon finds herself on a dark path of blood and violence that threatens to consume her.

But she won't be in it alone.

Katherine Deveraux never expected to be allied with Jane McKeene. But after the hell she has endured, she knows friends are hard to come by - and that Jane needs her, too, whether Jane wants to admit it or not.

Watching Jane's back, however, is more than she bargained for, and when they both reach a breaking point, it's up to Katherine to keep hope alive - even as she begins to fear that there is no happily-ever-after for girls like her. 

My Review:
Yeah, it was so great to read this book! Loved getting more time with these characters, and following them on their journeys! And this book went in an unexpected direction, and I loved going along for the ride! And oh, where there some hard lessons to learn in this book!

One thing that I loved about this book, is that we got Katherine's perspective. And all of her chapters in the first part started with bible passages and the second quotes from people about California, and were titled in the form of "Note On...." And Jane's first half started with Shakespeare quotes, and then on writings about what she was doing, with titles of "In Which I..." so that was really great!

Oh, Gideon. Man, I was hoping for good things, but boy did this book sure prove me wrong, at least regarding him! And it's so frustrating, too! Because man, did he do wrong in this book! I totally understood Jane's feelings for him!

My one question is, is the love between Jane and Katherine one of friends, or is it romantic? I mean, there were hints that it could be romantic, but they don't so much as kiss. I would love it either way, though I'd lean towards it being romantic! 

Loved reading this book, it was really fantastic, and I can't wait to read more by Justina Ireland!

Author: Justina Ireland
Series: Dread Nation #2
Read: July 12th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her writing and I really enjoyed the first book! And it's a End of Series 2020 Book, Historical Fiction 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and WoW Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: February 4th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!