Saturday, July 11, 2020

Week 28 Review: Children of Blood and Bone

From Goodreads:
Tomi Adeyemi conjures a stunning world of dark magic and danger in her West African-inspired fantasy debut, perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo and Sabaa Tahir.

They killed my mother. 
They took our magic. 
They tried to bury us. 

Now we rise. 

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie's Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for an enemy. 

My Review:
Oh, man, this book was just so fantastic! I enjoyed it so much, and I totally joined the hype bandwagon, because yeah, this book was just so awesome! I loved watching Zélie and Amari on their quest, and was a bit anxious watching Inan, who was on the wrong side of the conflict.

This world, I felt so bad for the magi's, for the diviner's, who lost the magic. And we find out what happened pretty early on, because they're on a quest to bring it back. But it's complicated by the fact that it was Amari's dad who did it, which is why she wants to help, and Inan, who does the opposite. Inan was interesting, given the inner conflict that he was facing! So I'm conflicted on what to feel about him!

I was always waiting for the hammer to drop. There were a few times where something would go wrong, but I was always anticipating something really, really wrong. Yeah, wow, did things go wrong, but not the full on disaster like I expected. Not so say what happened wasn't bad, but it wasn't the ultimate bad-magic still exists, and all our narrating characters survived. Well, I think they did.

I have read the synopsis of the 2nd book, so I can guess what happened, what Zélie's changed ritual did. And I've head a few mentions about the ending, not what happened, but reactions to it. So I'm going to hold off on reading book 2 until closer or after book 3's release, because I don't want to wait between those books!

This was an amazing, wonderful book, I loved it so much, and I can't wait for book 3 to come out so I can read book 2 and 3!

Author: Tomi Adeyemi
Series: Legacy of Orïsha #1
Read: July 8th, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: It sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Published: March 6th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!