Saturday, July 18, 2020

Week 29 Review: On the Come Up

From Goodreads:
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighborhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri's got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri's life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.

On the Come Up is Angie Thomas's homage to hip-hop, the art that sparked her passion for storytelling and continues to inspire her to this day. It is the story of fighting for your dreams, even as the odds are stacked against you; of the struggle to become who you are and not who everyone expects you to be; and of the desperate realities of poor and working-class black families.

My Review:
Man, this book was so fantastic! It is set about a year about The Hate U Give, and Bri mentions that she wrote a song about what happened. So that was really great! I really enjoyed getting to know this new cast of characters, and dealing with their problems!

Personally, I'm not a listener to rapper music. My idea of it is mostly that it's spoken words to a beat. And I like music to be sung, you know? So while it's not my think, I  loved seeing Bri's passion! And her strong suit, her lyrics, were fantastic!

So it's a little hard to write this review, it's an important book about what what it's like for Black people, and I'm white. There were a few moments where Bri was making decisions, and I was like, oh, no, something bad is going to happen. Of course, not as bad as my worried brain worried about, but there were some consequences that were unintentional.

My one question is, who was the one who tweeted about Bri in the end? I mean, it sounds like that person could change Bri's life, as long as it's on Bri's terms. Is it meant to be open, to whomever, so each person could have their interpretation, or it is someone specific, just not named?

Really enjoyed this book, and I'm excited for The Hate U Give prequel book!

Author: Angie Thomas
Read: July 11th, 2020
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Loved her first book, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: February 5th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!