Saturday, July 18, 2020

Week 29 Review: Shadow of the Fox

From Goodreads:
Once Every Thousand Years...

Every millennium, one age ends and another age dawns...and whoever holds the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers holds the power to call the great Kami Dragon from the sea and ask for any one wish. The time is near...and the missing pieces of the scroll will be sought throughout the land of Iwagoto. The holder of the first piece is a humble, unknown peasant girl with a dangerous secret.

Demons have burned the temple Yumeko was raised in to the ground, killing everyone within, including the master who trained her to both use and hide her kitsune shapeshifting powers. Yumeko escapes with the temple's greatest treasure—one part of the ancient scroll. Fate thrusts her into the path of a mysterious samurai, Kage Tatsumi of the Shadow Clan. Yumeko knows he seeks what she has...and is under orders to kill anything and anyone who stands between him and the scroll.

A wish will be granted and a new age will dawn.

My Review:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this book! I mean, I've always enjoyed her books, but this is the start of a new series, new characters, a new world, and while I enjoy everything that I'm interested in, and I was interested in this book, there's always a risk, you know? But it paid off in this book!

First off, these characters! I loved Yumeko, she was so innocent and playful, and being half kitsune who is just going on into the world for the first time, well, I loved the various things that she said about what she was encountering!

And Tatsumi! I loved his struggle with having to keep his emotions in check or else be taken over by the demon in his sword. Combined with the fact that they're on this journey together, and keep gaining members because of Yumeko, was just so heart-warming to read, even if he was concerned about how they might affect his struggle and the journey, but because Yumeko wanted it, their group kept getting larger and larger!

I loved the way this book was told. We started each part with a servant girl in the palace for a chapter, finding out what she's doing. And then we'd alternate between Yumeko and Tatsumi's perspectives. I couldn't put down reading about their journey!

So there's a few things. Like Seigetsu, and whatever is going on with him, because he only appeared twice in this book, and both times, had a direct impact. And I need to know what's going on with him! And then there's Kage Tatsumi, with his demon sword. There's a history that was hinted at, and I can't wait to explore it!

Loved this book, it was really fantastic, and I can't wait to read more of this series!

Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Shadow of the Fox #1
Read: July 12th, 2020
Source: Bought/NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Published: October 2nd 2018

Shadow of the Fox:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!