Saturday, July 10, 2021

Week 27 Review: All These Monsters

From Goodreads:
From New York Times best-selling author Amy Tintera, a high-stakes sci-fi adventure about a teen girl who will do anything to escape her troubled home--even if that means joining a dangerous monster-fighting squad. Perfect for fans of Warcross and Renegades.

Seventeen-year-old Clara is ready to fight back. Fight back against her abusive father, fight back against the only life she's ever known, and most of all, fight back against scrabs, the earth-dwelling monsters that are currently ravaging the world. So when an opportunity arises for Clara to join an international monster-fighting squad, she jumps at the chance.

When Clara starts training with her teammates, however, she realizes what fighting monsters really means: sore muscles, exhaustion, and worst of all, death. Scrabs are unpredictable, violent, and terrifying. But as Clara gains confidence in her battle skills, she starts to realize scrabs might not be the biggest evil. The true monsters are the ones you least expect. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this story! I've enjoyed Amy Tintera's books, and I've read almost all of them now, but this was a new duology, so you know, there's always a chance that this will be the one that's not for you. But it sounded really good, so I went for it, and I did really enjoy it!

One series that it reminded me of was the Effigies series by Sarah Raughley, with a team of young people, in mostly our world, but there's monsters, and the team is fighting them. And this was great, because I really enjoyed that series, and I really enjoyed this book! 

Clare is a survivor. She's survied the abuse that her father has heaped on her, most notably, or the biggest that she mentioned, is that he put her head through a wall. And going off and joining this team, which could be deadly, is better than staying home. And it's like, don't you get it? Bah!

And her relationship with Tristian. Bah! I loved the feelings that he gave her when they first started, but as things progressed, and the warning and warning signs, I just wanted to scream, because it's just not fair! And with his actions at the end, well, I really want her to punch him!

Side note on something that I realized about my reading habits, while I was reading this book, is that I'm terrible at reading and actually taking the descriptions of what's going on while someone is talking. I'll be reading dialogue, and I know that the characters are moving, doing things, but I won't pick it up, and then I'll get to the point where something is mentioned, and I'm like, how did we get here? 

One example is a character mentioned a bruise that she must've gotten in the past few scenes with a character. And I think I know when it happened, but I'm not quite sure, because there was a lot of yelling, so I was reading the dialogue. So I just wanted to mention that, one of my weird quirks in reading that I'll try and stop, but I don't think it's likely! 

This was such a fantastic read, and I'm so excited to read the sequel! 

Author: Amy Tintera
Series: Monsters #1
Read: July 9th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a Dystopia 2021 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book, WoW Book and a WTC Book! 
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Published: July 7th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!