Saturday, September 4, 2021

Week 35 Review: Strange Lies

From Goodreads:
Only at Winship Academy would an evening science expo turn into a criminal fiasco. First, there's the anonymous boy in the girls bathroom handing out drugs to anyone with the secret password. Then the student body president is maimed in a horrifying and tragic accident—but was it an accident or an attack?

Benny Flax and Virginia Leeds are right at the center of it all. And so is the headmaster's son, Calvin Harker, an oddball poet whose interest in Virginia sets off alarm bells for Benny. As the case bleeds from Winship Academy to the surrounding city, the deep fault lines of racial tension in Atlanta's history reveal explosive hatred still simmering under the city's surface.

Once again, Maggie Thrash (author of Honor Girl) delivers a uniquely compelling, thought-provoking, and entirely riveting story. 

My Review:
I had a great time reading this book! I really enjoyed the first one, getting to know Benny and Virginia as they were investigating, and I really enjoyed watching them deal with this latest case! This duo is just strange and weird, and I love them for it! 

The case they are to solve in this book is about a death at the student fair, one that is strange-and questionable, as to if it's an accident-or a crime. So that was really interesting to investigate. And that Calvin is a central part of the case, I loved how he brought that tension into Benny and Virginia's relationship! 

A side plot of this book (and a big part of why Calvin is a part of this story) is the drugs being passed around campus. And we got glimpses into what results from that (like teenagers deciding that they would like a baby, so you know, go for it. We really got to see these personal details from these characters lives, both as part of the investigation and as part of the story. 

That ending though? It was a bit confusing, and honestly I would love a 3rd book, just to wrap things up, but that seems unlikely, given that this book came out in 2017, and nothing has come out since. Which is too bad, because I did enjoy these, and there are those lose threads!

I enjoyed this book, it was another really great mystery! 

Author: Maggie Thrash
Series: Strange Truth #2
Read: August 30th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss/Bought
Reason Why: Enjoyed the first book, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: October 3rd 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!