Saturday, January 8, 2022

Week 1 Review: Squad

From Goodreads:
Pretty Little Liars meets Teen Wolf in this fast-paced, sharply funny, and patriarchy-smashing graphic novel from author Maggie Tokuda-Hall and artist Lisa Sterle. When the new girl is invited to join her high school's most popular clique, she can't believe her luck—and she can't believe their secret, either: they're werewolves. Fans of Mariko Tamaki and Elana K. Arnold will devour the snappy dialogue, vivid artwork, and timely social commentary.

When Becca transfers to a high school in an elite San Francisco suburb, she's worried she's not going to fit in. To her surprise, she's immediately adopted by the most popular girls in school. At first glance, Marley, Arianna, and Mandy are perfect. But at a party under a full moon, Becca learns that they also have a big secret.

Becca's new friends are werewolves. Their prey? Slimy boys who take advantage of unsuspecting girls. Eager to be accepted, Becca allows her friends to turn her into a werewolf, and finally, for the first time in her life, she feels like she truly belongs.

But things get complicated when Arianna's predatory boyfriend is killed, and the cops begin searching for a serial killer. As their pack begins to buckle under the pressure—and their moral high ground gets muddier and muddier—Becca realizes that she might have feelings for one of her new best friends.

Lisa Sterle's stylish illustrations paired with Maggie Tokuda-Hall's sharp writing make Squad a fun, haunting, and fast-paced thriller that will resonate with fans of Riverdale, and with readers of This Savage Song, Lumberjanes, and Paper Girls.

My Review:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading this book! It's a great story about girls who don't like the world beat them down, become werewolves, and eat the boys who think they can get away with rape. It's such a fantastic concept, and I love reading it!

The synopsis mentions Elana K Arnold, and I'd agree, it's a lot like Red Hood, though it does make the girls the wolves, and the human boys the prey. I loved that switch, because that gives the girls the hunger, and the close knit pack, and I loved that! 

I really enjoyed these characters, Becca who was a loner without any friends, at a new school, but gets welcomed by the popular girls at school. I loved Marley, she was so bubbly and sweet. Mandy was amazing and didn't ignore the elephant in the room. And Arianna was an alpha, in charge and just a bit mean. I loved the pack and their loyalty to one another! 

That ending though? I didn't expect that at all! Though there were hints that eventually lead there. It is a little bit sad, but it was a pretty violent read, all in all. But I'm really glad that there was a bit of a happy ending, some of the cost hurt! 

This was a fantastic read, and I'm really glad that it exists! 

Author: Maggie Tokuda-Hall, Illustrated by Lisa Sterle
Read: January 4th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Greenwillow Books 
Published: October 5th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!