Saturday, January 8, 2022

Week 1 Review: Criminal

From Goodreads:
What would you do for love? Nikki helps her boyfriend commit murder in this "dark, devastating, and realistic portrait of a girl in over her head" (Publishers Weekly).Nikki's life is far from perfect, but at least she has Dee. Her friends tell her that Dee is no good, but Nikki can't imagine herself without him. He's hot, he's dangerous, he has her initials tattooed over his heart, and she loves him more than anything. There's nothing Nikki wouldn't do for Dee. Absolutely nothing.

So when Dee pulls Nikki into a crime – a crime that ends in murder – Nikki tells herself that it's all for true love. Nothing can break them apart. Not the police. Not the arrest that lands Nikki in jail. Not even the investigators who want her to testify against him.

But what if Dee had motives that Nikki knew nothing about?

Nikki's love for Dee is supposed to be unconditional…but even true love has a limit. And Nikki just might have reached hers.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't a favourite of mine. I'm not one to read contemporary, their plots are mostly focused on relationships, and that's what this one is about-but that a murder is involved livened things up for me!

My main curiosity going into this book was what motives that Dee had for this murder. My assumption going in was that it was probably connected to an ex-girlfriend, either her or maybe her boyfriend or something. I really enjoyed how that turned out!

Nikki doesn't really have very many people in her corner at the start of this book, and as things progress, she ends up losing all of them-for the same reason she needs them, that she's in jail for her part in this murder. And that is pretty bleak! 

I really enjoyed watching her deal with all of this, decide on who she was going to be moving forward, and that was really great! There were some things that could've been elaborated upon a touch, but all in all, it was a decent ending.

This was an enjoyable read, and I'm glad that I got it read! 

Author: Terra Elan McVoy
Read: January 3rd, 2022
Source: Own
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a SAC 2022 Book! 
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Published: April 8th 2013
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!