Saturday, October 1, 2022

Week 39 Review: Blood Scion

From Goodreads:
A young girl with forbidden powers must free her people from oppression in this richly layered epic fantasy from debut author Deborah Falaye, inspired by Yoruba-Nigerian mythology and perfect for fans of Children of Blood and Bone and An Ember in the Ashes.

This is what they deserve.

They wanted me to be a monster.

I will be the worst monster they ever created.

Fifteen-year-old Sloane can incinerate an enemy at will—she is a Scion, a descendant of the ancient Orisha gods.

Under the Lucis' brutal rule, her identity means her death if her powers are discovered. But when she is forcibly conscripted into the Lucis army on her fifteenth birthday, Sloane sees a new opportunity: to overcome the bloody challenges of Lucis training, and destroy them from within.

Sloane rises through the ranks and gains strength but, in doing so, risks something greater: losing herself entirely, and becoming the very monster that she ahbors.

Following one girl's journey of magic, injustice, power, and revenge, this deeply felt and emotionally charged debut from Deborah Falaye, inspired by Yoruba-Nigerian mythology, is a magnetic combination of A Song of Wraiths and Ruin and Daughter of Smoke and Bone that will utterly thrill and capture readers.

My Review:
This was a stunning book! I had a hard time getting into it-because the topic of child soldiers is hard to read. But oh, was it such a fantastic story, and once I got through the first chunk, the rest of it just flowed, and I couldn't put it down!

Right off the bat, I'll say that I love this cover. It's the kind that I like, I just love the colours, it looks so beautiful, with the flames, and the jewelry, yeah, this cover is stunning. I can't wait to see what the cover of the sequel is going to look like! 

This whole book, basically, was in a state of constant tension. If the army knew that she was a Scion, they'd kill her in a brutal way. So that fear of discovery was on the back burner the whole time, definitely was a part of why I turned the pages so quickly. But at the same time, it was so great to watch her learn these skills that she's going to use against them, though the learning of them was pretty brutal. Her journey was just hair raising and incredible to read, as they tried to forge her into a monster.

Oh, and that ending! That reveal was just so shocking, and makes the events of this book even worse. After every horrible thing that happened to her, to her people, to learn that? That was pretty intense! And those final pages? I need to know what's going to happen next!

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more! 

Author: Deborah Falaye
Series: Blood Scion #1
Read: September 26th, 2022
Source: Edelweiss/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: March 8th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!