Saturday, April 2, 2022

Week 13 Review: League of Liars

From Goodreads:
In this fantasy thriller, four teens charged with murder and the illegal use of magic band together to devise the ultimate jailbreak.

Ever since his mother was killed, seventeen-year-old Cayder Broduck has had one goal--to see illegal users of magic brought to justice. People who carelessly use extradimensional magic for their own self-interest, without a care to the damage it does to society or those around them, deserve to be punished as far as Cayder is concerned. Because magic always has a price. So when Cayder lands a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to apprentice under a premier public defender, he takes it. If he can learn all the tricks of public defense, the better he'll be able to dismantle defense arguments when he's a prosecutor. Then he'll finally be able to make sure justice is served.

But when he meets the three criminals he's supposed to defend, it no longer seems so black and white. They're teenagers, like him, and their stories are . . . complicated, like his. Vardean, the prison where Cayder's new clients are incarcerated, also happens to be at the very heart of the horrible tear in the veil between their world and another dimension--where all magic comes from.

My Review:
This was a really fantastic read! The whole premise had me itching to read this book, and I really enjoyed watching it all play out! I wanted to learn more about this world, and these characters, who are dealing with the legal system that may or may not be fair, to be biased against them! 

I did find Cayder to be a touch sanctimonious, that he used the edem, was sent to Vardean, and coming out, was reformed, and now is highly judgmentally about edem use. So that got on my nerves a bit. But part of his journey is his attitude, espcailly some of the things that he, and the group, learned!

We were in a variety of heads in this book, which was really great. We saw things from their perspective, how they ended up here, and then when things got going in the present, well, that gave plenty of opportunities to amp up the tension! 

I'm honestly hoping that this becomes a series. The things we learned, the way we left things, they're in a prime position to have a sequel! And I'd prefer it to become a series, because I need more! Like, it just can't end like that! It was such a cliffhanger ending! 

Really enjoyed this book, and I can't wait to read more from Astrid Scholte!

Author: Astrid Scholte
Read: March 29th, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Putnum
Published: February 22nd 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!