Saturday, December 24, 2022

Week 51 Review: A Court of Sugar and Spice

From Goodreads:
With their inheritance restricted until their marriage, sisters Clara and Louisa, both in their twenties, must live with their godfather Drosselmeyer. One night, an accident brings to life one of the strange wooden dolls in Drosselmeyer's mansion. The Nutcracker doll is a cursed Fae prince, and he pleads for the sisters' help. During the ensuing journey into the Fae realm, Clara encounters the handsome Sugarplum Faerie, and he promises her the chance to enact all her forbidden fantasies. Meanwhile Louisa and the Nutcracker Prince battle and bicker over everything, despite the growing attraction between them. And to make matters worse, the entire Seelie kingdom is under threat of conquest by the Rat King, ruler of the Dread Court.
This is a spicy, adult, fantasy romance retelling of "The Nutcracker" fairytale. 

My Review:
Well, it seems to be the week for The Nutcracker retelling! I had a really great time with this story, and it was very different from the previous one, being adult and spicy and all. Like I said in my last review, I've never consumed the original, so I'm not sure the details and how they were changed, but I loved the world that was created in this book! 

One thing that is particular to me, is that Clara's sister is Louisa. I don't often see my name in books, or names similar, like Louise. I can't think of more than 5, and one is an author, Louisa May Alcott. So that was just a little thing that I really enjoyed about this book! 

I really enjoyed reading about both of these sisters. They get pulled into this adventure, and I loved the bickering between Louisa and the Prince, and I loved Clara and Finias as well! The spice in their relationships was just at the right level to keep the plot going on steadily at the same time! 

It's recently been announced, though, that there's going to be a sequel, which is pretty exciting! This story does stand on its own, but it'll be great to see more of these characters, and I'm excited to see what threats they might face! 

This was a great read, and I had such a good time with it! 

Author: Rebecca F. Kenney
Read: December 21st, 2022
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Retelling Reading Challenge 2022 Book and a SAC 2022 Book!
Publisher: Rebecca F. Kenney
Published: November 7th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!