Saturday, December 31, 2022

Week 52 Review: The Unidentified

From Goodreads:
Kid knows her school's corporate sponsors not-so-secretly monitor her friendships and activities for market research. It's all a part of the Game; the alternative education system designed to use the addictive kick from video games to encourage academic learning. Everyday, a captive audience of students ages 13-17 enter the nationwide chain store-like Game locations to play.

When a group calling themselves The Unidentified simulates a suicide to protest the power structure of their school, Kid's investigation into their pranks attracts unwanted attention from the sponsors. As Kid finds out she doesn't have rights to her ideas, her privacy, or identity, she and her friends look for a way to revolt in a place where all acts of rebellion are just spun into the next new ad campaign. 

My Review:
I had a really great time reading this book! I've read books with this kind of concept before, with hyper tracking, I really enjoyed this take, with the corporation angle! I loved watching Kid and the others rebellion against this awful way of life!

This world where the schooling was a game where if you were good within the system, that you got corporate sponsorships, yeah, that's not cool. The power that the trendsetters have, it's part of the corruption that the Unidentified are fighting. 

I can totally understand why Kid wants to join the Unidentified, to fight against this system, because frankly, it's terrifying, that this is is a potential future. I mean, you can see what elements of today's society has grown into what this became, and the flaws present today, are magnified.  

I had a really great time reading Kid's story as she was dealing with her everything that was at stake. There were questions that needed to be answered, and I really enjoyed watching Kid and her best friend Mikey as they learn more about the system! 

I had a great time reading this book, and I'm really glad that I did!  

Author: Rae Mariz
Read: December 24th, 2022
Source: Own
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a LLFL Book, SAC 2022 Book and a WTC Book!  
Publisher: Balzer + Bray 
Published: October 5th 2010
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!