Saturday, December 31, 2022

Week 52 Review: The Queen's Chair

From Goodreads:
What do you do with a merchant's spare daughter? What do you do when you are a merchant's spare daughter?

Stasia has known her entire life that she was not destined for the lives that her friends and her sisters were expected to lead. Her father, Minstrel Fielding, has a mercantile empire that would make the queen drool, but with two older daughters married off and ready to carry on the legacy of his empire, splitting it a third time adds no value to anyone. So while everyone else is off learning to run a household staff and navigate the politics of high society, Stasia Fielding-Horne learned to fight with a knife. She learned to climb a building. She took long rides across the countryside on her own, and she picked up any new skill she found interesting.

And then she found herself in Verida.

Verida, where they're battling elves and the annual flood to keep from being pushed into the sea. Where magic flows in the water and everything is new and different.

This would have been the opportunity of a lifetime, but for the expectations she conform herself to high society. Verida doesn't know what a spare daughter is any more than Stasia knows how to behave in the presence of a queen.

So Stasia is breaking out. She doesn't care what anyone thinks of her, doesn't care how she's expected to behave, and she's about to find that those attitudes are going to throw her in with some very interesting people. People who see her outsider status as an asset.

How interesting is too interesting? Will her love of breaking the rules in a city overrun by magic and politics prove to be more dangerous than she can handle?

My Review:
Oh, this was such a great read! I was recommended this book because I enjoy Honor Raconteur's writing, and it was a fair comparison! I had a great time in this world with these characters! This was a really great story and I can't wait to continue!

The synopsis has me anticipating a good time, with a fair amount of humour, and this book delivered! I really enjoyed getting to know Stasia, and watch her find a place in Verida, which was just a wild ride! I had so much fun reading this book! 

Stasia was so fantastic to read about! She doesn't fit the mold of a nobleman's daughter, and kudos on her for recognizing that, and finding something to do that suits her! I loved her adventures, as she helps the Queen in running this city! 

The author has written out all of her plans for this world. I'm a little apprehensive, because there is a lot, and some of the posts are a year old, so I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I can't wait to read more and explore more of this world! 

I loved reading this book, and I can't wait to see where this book, and this world, go from here! 

Author: Chloe Garner
Series: The Queen's Chair #1
Read: December 24th, 2022 
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book! 
Publisher: A Horse Called Alpha
Published: January 25th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!