Saturday, October 10, 2015

Week 41 Review: Tangled Webs

From Goodreads:
London, 1725. Everybody has a secret. Lady A will keep yours—for a price. This sumptuous, scandalous YA novel is wickedly addictive.

Lady A is the most notorious blackmailer in the city. With just a mask and a gown to disguise her, she sweeps into lavish balls and exclusive events collecting the most valuable currency in 1725 London—secrets.

But leading a double life isn't easy. By day Lady A is just a sixteen-year-old girl named Arista who lives in fear of her abusive master, Bones, and passes herself off as a boy to move safely through the squalor of London's slums. When Bones attempts to dispose of his pawn forever, Arista is rescued by the last person she expects: Jonathan Wild, the infamous Thief Taker General who moves seamlessly between the city's criminal underworld and its most elite upper circles. Arista partners with Wild on her own terms in the hopes of saving enough money to buy passage out of London.

Everything changes when she meets Graeden Sinclair, the son of a wealthy merchant. Grae has traveled the world, has seen the exotic lands Arista has longed to escape to her whole life, and he loves Arista for who she is—not for what she can do for him. Being with Grae gives something Arista something precious that she swore off long ago: hope. He has promised to help Arista escape the life of crime that has claimed her since she was a child. But can you ever truly escape the past?

My Review:
This book was so awesome! It made me think of a darker, a bit less funny, but still so good version of Meg Cabot's Nicola, and Victoria! Which is really great, because I really enjoyed those books! So good association right off the bat!

I just enjoyed reading about Arista, and her adventures, the people she knew, and just everything! So fantastic, so great to read, and just awesome! So glad that I got a chance to read this, that this book exists at all, because it was so awesome!

One thing that I didn't get, was that Arista felt owned basically by Bones. But I couldn't see what he held over her. Sure, when was young, her thievery was traded for food and shelter provided by Bones. But I didn't see how that extended to the Lady A escapades!

The relationships with Grae's family, the one between Arista and the family, the ones between all the family members, it was just really precious, something really good in this world where it seemed where there really was very little!

Awesome, awesome ending, and I think I know where the sequel could go, what with Bones still being alive, and yeah, I just can't wait for the sequel!

Author: Lee Bross
Series: Tangled Webs #1
Read: October 6th, 2015
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Loved her other book, and it's Historical Fiction 2015 Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2015 Book!
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Published: June 23rd 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!