Saturday, July 3, 2021

Week 26 Review: If We Were Villains

From Goodreads:
Oliver Marks has just served ten years in jail - for a murder he may or may not have committed. On the day he's released, he's greeted by the man who put him in prison. Detective Colborne is retiring, but before he does, he wants to know what really happened a decade ago.

As one of seven young actors studying Shakespeare at an elite arts college, Oliver and his friends play the same roles onstage and off: hero, villain, tyrant, temptress, ingenue, extra. But when the casting changes, and the secondary characters usurp the stars, the plays spill dangerously over into life, and one of them is found dead. The rest face their greatest acting challenge yet: convincing the police, and themselves, that they are blameless.

My Review:
This was such a dark and compelling story! I loved this dual timeline, when they're collage students, and then a decade later, when one of the members is in jail for murder. So the story of what happened was really interesting! 

To be honest, while I was in plays when I was in high school, I just don't get acting. So this group of theatre kids, whose whole lives are basically all about Shakespeare plays...incomprehensible to me. It was vital to this story, but not my wheelhouse.

Man, there was a lot of interpersonal drama between this group! Tensions were high because a stereotype of actors is that they're passionate, both about their art, and their personal lives can be, as well. And there was a lot going on with this group's relationships! Not to mention the murder!

The murder case, man, I just wanted to know what the heck was going on, if Oliver actually committed the crime or not. And oh, that reveal at the end? That was stunning, and so well written! I wish we could've had a bit more at the end, but I had a great time with it! 

This was a fantastic story and I had a really great time reading it! 

Author: M.L. Rio
Read: June 26th, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Published: April 11th 2017
5/5 Hearts
2/5 Books
2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!