Saturday, July 3, 2021

Week 26 Review: This Golden Flame

From Goodreads:
Orphaned and forced to serve her country's ruling group of scribes, Karis wants nothing more than to find her brother, long ago shipped away. But family bonds don't matter to the Scriptorium, whose sole focus is unlocking the magic of an ancient automaton army.

In her search for her brother, Karis does the seemingly impossible―she awakens a hidden automaton. Intelligent, with a conscience of his own, Alix has no idea why he was made. Or why his father―their nation's greatest traitor―once tried to destroy the automatons.

Suddenly, the Scriptorium isn't just trying to control Karis; it's hunting her. Together with Alix, Karis must find her brother…and the secret that's held her country in its power for centuries.

My Review:
Oh wow, this was such a fantastic read! The synopsis really intrigued me, and those first few chapters just sucked me in! I couldn't put this book down! This world was so interesting and so terrible to people like Karis. And I had to know what was going to happen next! 

One thing right off the bat that I love, is that Karis is Ace, like I almost certainly am. In this book, she's about the only one who doesn't get a love interest, and that representation was really great to read! I've only read one or two other books with a main character who is ace, that I know of, so I'm glad to add another to the list! 

This world was pretty brutal. I hated it on behalf of these characters who were just treated so horribly by it. And fighting back against it was so satisfying! Though it was a pretty interesting world with the automatons and Alix's father. 

I was really invested in these characters, as they dodged those the Scriptorium sent after them, as they searched for Karis's brother. And I was really interested in that secret mentioned in the synopsis. I had such a great time with their adventure! 

This was an amazing read, and I can't wait to read more by Emily Victoria! 

Author: Emily Victoria
Read: June 26th, 2021
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book, SAC 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Published: February 2nd 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!