Saturday, July 3, 2021

Week 26 Review: Long May She Reign

From Goodreads:
The Girl of Fire and Thorns meets The Queen of the Tearling in this thrilling fantasy standalone about one girl's unexpected rise to power.

Freya was never meant be queen. Twenty third in line to the throne, she never dreamed of a life in the palace, and would much rather research in her laboratory than participate in the intrigues of court. However, when an extravagant banquet turns deadly and the king and those closest to him are poisoned, Freya suddenly finds herself on the throne.

Freya may have escaped the massacre, but she is far from safe. The nobles don't respect her, her councillors want to control her, and with the mystery of who killed the king still unsolved, Freya knows that a single mistake could cost her the kingdom – and her life.

Freya is determined to survive, and that means uncovering the murderers herself. Until then, she can't trust anyone. Not her advisors. Not the king's dashing and enigmatic illegitimate son. Not even her own father, who always wanted the best for her, but also wanted more power for himself.

As Freya's enemies close in and her loyalties are tested, she must decide if she is ready to rule and, if so, how far she is willing to go to keep the crown. 

My first review of Long May She Reign
My second review of Long May She Reign
My Review:
I had such a great time reading this book again! I love this world so much, and the story! I wish we could get more, because I love it, but what we have is really great. The idea of this scientist, was so far from the throne, suddenly becoming Queen, it's crazy! 

The relationship she has with the group of people that she chooses, I really enjoyed that. Naomi and Madeline were the best! And then there was Fitzroy, the previous king's bastard. So they're faintly related, but I still enjoyed watching them together, because he's a viable suspect.

There were two main prongs of this plot-who the murderer was, and being Queen, even as there's a rebellion to remove her. Freya is not a politician, she's a scientist, but maybe that fresh perspective is what they needed, and while it sucks the cost that it took to get there, she does seem to be off to a good start of being Queen! 

I vaguely remembered who the murderer was. The clues were there, and I've read this book a few times now, so it was great picking up those clues and knowing what they meant. It was sad, and it sucks, who it is and why, but it's a really entertaining read! 

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read more by Rhiannon Thomas! 

Author: Rhiannon Thomas
First Read: August 8th, 2016
Second Read: July 14th, 2017
Read: June 30th, 2021
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: February 21st 2017
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!