Saturday, August 7, 2021

Week 31 Review: Pride

From Goodreads:
Zuri Benitez has pride. Brooklyn pride, family pride, and pride in her Afro-Latino roots. But pride might not be enough to save her rapidly gentrifying neighborhood from becoming unrecognizable. 

When the wealthy Darcy family moves in across the street, Zuri wants nothing to do with their two teenage sons, even as her older sister, Janae, starts to fall for the charming Ainsley. She especially can't stand the judgmental and arrogant Darius. Yet as Zuri and Darius are forced to find common ground, their initial dislike shifts into an unexpected understanding.

But with four wild sisters pulling her in different directions, cute boy Warren vying for her attention, and college applications hovering on the horizon, Zuri fights to find her place in Bushwick's changing landscape, or lose it all.

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I love Pride and Prejudice, and this modern day retelling was a fantastic read! I did listen to this book on audio, and it was a great experience, I could just picture this story so well, and the narration was easy for my beginner self! 

Having this modern day retelling, adding in diversity, it was a really great mix, and I loved how these familiar story beats were woven with this culture, giving new meaning to what was happening. Like that dinner with his grandparents, that his grandmother's reasons for acting the way she does towards Zuri, yeah, that was really great!  

I love that Zuri's pride is of her neighborhood. It's fantastic, but it's also getting gentrified, which is pushing out the people that she cares about, including her own family. So that's not a fun situation to be in, on top of the stress and change of college coming up! 

Her relationship with the Darcy family (I loved the fact that Janae's love interest was Darcy's brother, not his best friend) was complicated. Darius was a bit of an asshole, and while it turns out that he had valid reasons, it still wasn't cool! But they both had some growing up to do, which watching that was great to see! 

I loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read more by Ibi Zoboi! 

Author: Ibi Zoboi
Read: August 3rd, 2021
Source: Edelweiss/Library
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge Book and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: September 18th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!