Saturday, August 14, 2021

Week 32 Review: Good Omens

From Goodreads:
According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (the world's only completely accurate book of prophecies, written in 1655, before she exploded), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon—both of whom have lived amongst Earth's mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle—are not actually looking forward to the coming Rapture.

And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist . . .

My first review of Good Omens
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! I just finished watching the show for the 3rd time, and I really wanted to immediately watch it again, and I read this book as a stopgap, which didn't work, because I then watched it again. So I wasn't planning on rereading it, but I did, and I had a great time!

An honest opinion is that I prefer the show to the book, which is outside the norm. But I love the ineffable husbands Aziraphale and Crowley, and the show gave us more time with them then the book (and wanting more is something I mentioned in my first review). Which is why I'm so freaking excited for a season 2 (and I realize that this is less a review of the book then the show but oh, well.) If things had been differently we would've gotten a 2nd book, and it's sad that we're almost certainly not going to get a book sequel, which is another reason why I'm so excited for the 2nd season of the show!

I did enjoy the other characters and their stories and how it all came together, but the angel and demon were my favourite characters, and I just kept wanting to see more of them. But it was great to see more of the written humor, which while we got some narrated by God in the show, well, there was more in the book!

The ending of this book is really great to read, everything's been building, there's a bunch of connections (like the company that Newton worked at for a day was the company that Hunger owned and operated) and how the apocalypse was eventually thwarted. So that so entertaining to read!

This was a really great and fun read, and I'm just so glad that it exists! 

Authors: Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
First Read: March 21st, 2019
Read: August 11th, 2021 
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Ace Books
Published: May 1st 1990
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!