Saturday, January 9, 2021

Week 1 Review: Cursed

From Goodreads:
The Lady of the Lake finds her voice in this cinematic twist on the tale of King Arthur created by Tom Wheeler and legendary artist, producer, and director Frank Miller (300, Batman: The Dark Night Returns, Sin City).

Whosoever wields the Sword of Power shall be the one true King.

But what if the Sword has chosen a Queen?

Nimue grew up an outcast. Her connection to dark magic made her something to be feared in her Druid village, and that made her desperate to leave…

That is, until her entire village is slaughtered by Red Paladins, and Nimue's fate is forever altered. Charged by her dying mother to reunite an ancient sword with a legendary sorcerer, Nimue is now her people's only hope. Her mission leaves little room for revenge, but the growing power within her can think of little else.

Nimue teams up with a charming mercenary named Arthur and refugee Fey Folk from across England. She wields a sword meant for the one true king, battling paladins and the armies of a corrupt king. She struggles to unite her people, avenge her family, and discover the truth about her destiny.

But perhaps the one thing that can change Destiny itself is found at the edge of a blade.

My Review:
I enjoyed this book, but I wish I'd connected with it a bit more. It took me a while to get into it, and that was too bad, because I was looking forward to it, as well as watching the tv show. But I don't know, something between the book and I just didn't click.

I know some of the basics about the King Arthur legend, but it was really interesting to be in Nimue's perspective, because this is a bit of a twist on the legends, with having her be the leader wielding the blade, instead of just giving it to Arthur. 

There were bits where I was confused. Like Nimue being her people's only hope. Uh, didn't her whole village get killed? Who's her people? And her power, she basically never uses it, even though it's supposed to be growing, supposed to be helping with her quest. Bah.

It kinda feels like they're gearing up for a sequel, but so far it doesn't look like it's getting one, even though there is a show. The way things ended, they were pretty resolved, but the characters weren't in their end of the legend places, so it is open for a sequel. 

I had a good time reading this book, but not the best. But it is a pretty good read! 

Author: Thomas Wheeler, Illustrated by Frank Miller
Read: January 4th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge, Historical Fiction 2021 Book and a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Published: October 1st 2019
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!