Saturday, January 2, 2021

Week 53 Review: Finlay Donovan is Killing It

From Goodreads:
Finlay Donovan is killing it . . . except, she's really not. She's a stressed-out single-mom of two and struggling novelist, Finlay's life is in chaos: the new book she promised her literary agent isn't written, her ex-husband fired the nanny without telling her, and this morning she had to send her four-year-old to school with hair duct-taped to her head after an incident with scissors.

When Finlay is overheard discussing the plot of her new suspense novel with her agent over lunch, she's mistaken for a contract killer, and inadvertently accepts an offer to dispose of a problem husband in order to make ends meet . . . Soon, Finlay discovers that crime in real life is a lot more difficult than its fictional counterpart, as she becomes tangled in a real-life murder investigation.

Fast-paced, deliciously witty, and wholeheartedly authentic in depicting the frustrations and triumphs of motherhood in all its messiness, hilarity, and heartfelt moment, Finlay Donovan Is Killing It is the first in a brilliant new series from YA Edgar Award nominee Elle Cosimano. 

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I've really enjoyed Elle Coimano's books, and this was her first adult book, as far as I'm aware. And I had such a great time reading it, I loved reading about Finlay and her adventures, after being mistaken as a hitwoman! 

Honestly, I felt so badly for Finlay. Things are bad, and they keep getting worse. The way that she's entangled in the murder investigation, and keeps digging herself a bigger hole, I wasn't sure how everything would turn out. But boy did I enjoy the journey! 

Chaos would be a great word to describe this book. I mean, she stumbles into being though a hit man, ends up accidentally killing this guy and having to bury him, and then have the investigation come after her ex, there were a lot of stressful moments!

Things did work out in the end, and I'm really excited that she got her writing mojo back, though it's a little on the nose that she was writing a fictionalized version of what happened in this book, that did cause a little trouble. Things were left off in a great spot, and I'm so happy that she got that!  

This was a fantastic read, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Elle Coimano
Series: Finlay Donovan #1
Read: December 26th, 2020
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Expected Publication: February 2nd 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!