Saturday, December 4, 2021

Week 48 Review: Certain Dark Things

From Goodreads:
From the 'New York Times' best-selling author of 'Mexican Gothic' comes a pulse-pounding neo-noir that reimagines vampire lore.

Welcome to Mexico City, an oasis in a sea of vampires. Domingo, a lonely garbage-collecting street kid, is just trying to survive its heavily policed streets when a jaded vampire on the run swoops into his life. Atl, the descendant of Aztec blood drinkers, is smart, beautiful, and dangerous. Domingo is mesmerized.

Atl needs to quickly escape the city, far from the rival narco-vampire clan relentlessly pursuing her. Her plan doesn't include Domingo, but little by little, Atl finds herself warming up to the scrappy young man and his undeniable charm. As the trail of corpses stretches behind her, local cops and crime bosses both start closing in.

Vampires, humans, cops, and criminals collide in the dark streets of Mexico City. Do Atl and Domingo even stand a chance of making it out alive? Or will the city devour them all?

My Review:
This was such a fantastic read! I loved the various types of vampires in this book, they're based of mythology that aren't just the European ones, and I loved learning about the different mythologies come to life in this book!

I loved the various perspectives, from Atl and Domingo, to the bad guys that are on their tail, to the cop that is investigating the vampire crimes. They all came together really well to tell an excellent story! I knew things were going to come to a head-there were 3 opposing view points, of course there was going to be some combination of clashing. 

Things were rough for Atl, having her family destroyed, and being on the run, in a world where vampires aren't allowed most places. I enjoyed her time with Domingo, he was a breath of fresh air, so lively and innocent. I had to know where their story would go! 

And oh, that ending! That was just a little bit sad, that after all that they went through, that that's how it's all going to end. But it's not like there was any better options, that future dream that could've been, but they couldn't really have, and that loss just made things so bittersweet. 

I loved reading this book, and I can't wait to read more by Silvia Morena-Garcia! 

Author:  Silvia Morena-Garcia, Narrated by Aida Reluzco 
Read: November 30th 2021
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Macmillian Audio
Published: September 7th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!