Saturday, December 25, 2021

Week 51 Reviews: Myrnin's Tale, Viper and the Farmer, Nothing Like an Angel, The First Day of the Rest of Your Life, Glass Houses, Eve's Diary, Amelia's Story, The Dead Girls' Dance





This story came about just because I wanted to know more about Myrnin for my own understanding of his character, and sometimes, the best way to achieve that is to write a character's history from his/her point of view. The character tells me what's important, and what changed, for better or worse. Discovering that Myrnin's father had some type of mental disorder was important to me, because of course when he was born, such things weren't really understood. When I was working on the draft of the first book in which Myrnin appeared, my co-worker who read it said, 'Oh, you've written a bipolar character, and he's actually really cool! Did you know that I take medication for that?' She went on to relate all the ways he was familiar to her. I was amazed, and honoured. I won’t name the co-worker, for privacy, but I say now, as then: thank you for sharing your story with me, and you know who you are. I hope Myrnin continues to make you proud.

From Goodreads:
A Morganville Vampires short story about Myrnin and how/when he was turned.

From Goodreads:
It's a tale of Myrnin and his struggle to be the man (or vampire) that he wishes to be. It's also a story of his first encounter(s) with the lady we come to know (in Bitter Blood and later books) as Jesse, the red-haired bartender, whose history is intertwined with both Myrnin's and Amelie's back in the mists of time.


From Goodreads:
Eve Rosser is turning eighteen. Does she accept the Protection or go without?

From Goodreads:
From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark. 

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

From Goodreads:
Eve's Diary is a short story in Eve Rosser's point of view.

From Goodreads:
Amelie's short story.

From Goodreads:
Claire Danvers has her share of challenges--like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains, homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. When a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell really breaks loose.

My first review of Glass Houses, The Dead Girls' Dance
My Review:
Wow, I really enjoyed reading these stories again! I'd read the full length books before, but that was almost 10 years ago, and it was basically like reading them for the first time at this point! They were just so easy to devour, and I did, and they're just so great!

Getting Myrnin's tale, and how he came to be his master's apprentice, and then became a vampire, and then killed his master and why, and of his questionable sanity, well, he's been locked up and starved, and has a family history of mental illness, it's no wonder he is like he in the main series. Writing this after having read the rest of the series, of course. 

Claire is dumped into this world of vampires without any warning, and it's sink or swim because these books are high pressure, and she has to use her smarts to keep going. The pace is so quick, and combined with evil cliffhanger endings, well, I had to continue this series! 

My question is, is there more than one excerpt from Eve's Diary? Because what I read was in the back of The Dead Girls' Dance, and was of the events of that book. And I wish that I'd read it after reading The Dead Girls' Dance. But when I look at Eve's Diary, it says it can be found in the back of Glass Houses, which makes me wonder if there was another that takes place after Glass Houses, and that's why it's there, and at least the first two books had this? But I'm not sure...

This is such a great series, and I can't wait to binge read the rest of it! 

Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires #0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 1, 1.4, 1.5, 2, The Morganville Vampires Extras 1, 1.5, 1.7, 5.5, 6, 7
First Read: March 28th, 2012, April 12th-13th, 2012
Read: December 23rd, 23rd, 23rd, 23rd, 23rd, 24th, 24th, 24th, 2021
Source: Free, Ebook.bike, Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Books!
Publisher: NAL Jam
Published: 2012, 2015, September 4th 2007, March 1st 2016, October 1st 2006, 2007, 2010, April 3rd 2007

Myrnin's Tale:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Viper and the Farmer:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Nothing Like an Angel:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









The First Day of the Rest of Your Life:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Glass Houses:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Eve's Diary:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Amelia's Story:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








The Dead Girls' Dance: 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!