Saturday, December 25, 2021

Week 51 Review: The Unquiet Past

From Goodreads:
Tess has always been tormented by waking visions that make her question her sanity. When the orphanage she lives in burns down, she decides to face her fears and find out once and for all what is wrong with her. She believes the truth must lie with her parents, and so, armed with only an address and phone number, Tess travels to a crumbling mansion in rural Quebec, where she discovers evidence of mistreatment of mental patients. She also makes an unlikely ally and gradually unearths her family's sad history and finally accepts the truth about her paranormal powers.

My Review:
Oh, I really enjoyed reading this story! It is short, and it was quick and easy listen! I do wish that there could've been just a little bit more story, the ending was pretty abrupt, but yeah, I had a great time with this story!

Tess was a really interesting character to read about, she's an orphan who doesn't know anything about her past, and she sees people who are dead-or is sees moments of the past. She's smart and strong willed, and I really enjoyed her character!

The investigation into the only clue that she has-a phone number that was assigned to an abandoned house, was really interesting! And there she meets Jackson, they had this fantastic dynamic, where it always seemed like he was making some outrageous demand, and she was being calm and reasonable about the whole thing. Of course it wasn't always like that, but I really enjoyed their interactions! 

I did feel that the ending was a little bit rushed. We'd barely met the guy, and then suddenly he's the bad guy, and then the book was basically over. I do wish we could've gotten a few more details about what happened with his experiments, as well as where we're leaving these characters, because I do want to know more about what their lives are going to be like now. 

This was a fantastic read, and I'm really glad that it exists! 

Author: Kelley Armstrong, Narrated by Gabrielle Mon Desire 
Read: December 21st, 2021
Source: Library 
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a Historical Fiction 2021 Book and a SAC 2021 Book! 
Publisher: Orca Book Publishers
Published: September 29th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!