Saturday, April 2, 2022

Week 13 Review: Very Bad People

From Goodreads:
In this dark academia young adult thriller for fans of The Female of the Species and People Like Us, a teen girl's search for answers about her mother's mysterious death leads to a powerful secret society at her new boarding school—and a dangerous game of revenge that will leave her forever changed.

Six years ago, Calliope Bolan's mother drove the family van into a lake with her three daughters inside. The girls escaped, but their mother drowned, and the truth behind the "accident" remains a mystery Calliope is determined to solve. Now sixteen, she transfers to Tipton Academy, the same elite boarding school her mother once attended. Tipton promises a peek into the past and a host of new opportunities—including a coveted invitation to join Haunt and Rail, an exclusive secret society that looms over campus like a legend.

Calliope accepts, stepping into the exhilarating world of the "ghosts," a society of revolutionaries fighting for social justice. But when Haunt and Rail commits to exposing a dangerous person on campus, it becomes clear that some ghosts define justice differently than others.

As the society's tactics escalate, Calliope uncovers a possible link between Haunt and Rail and her mother's deadly crash. Now, she must question what lengths the society might go to in order to see a victory—and if the secret behind her mother's death could be buried here at Tipton. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book! I need to read more of Kit Frick's books, they're just so easy to read, and I love the mysteries! Plus, there was a brief appearance of Anna from I Killed Kit Frick, so I really need to read that book now! 

There were two main plots in this book-discovering what happened the day her mom died. And what's happening now at the school with the society that Calliope joins. They're intertwined by the fact that her mom was a part of the society when she was Calliope's age, and I really enjoyed watching them play out!

There's a question of morality raised in this book-that they're pulling pranks to raise awareness of certain issues, but how far are they willing to go? It becomes a matter of trust in the people around her, her family, the ghosts. It was fascinating watching it all play out!

That ending though, was so open ending! I mean, I have my guess of what was chosen, given what was mentioned previously, but on the other hand, all that was mentioned could have Callliope choosing the other way instead. I just don't know, and it's not the kind of ending that I enjoy. 

This was a fantastic end, and I can't wait to read more Kit Frick books! 

Author: Kit Frick
Read: March 28th, 2022
Source: Publisher for Review 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2022 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Expected Publication: April 5th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!