Saturday, December 3, 2022

Week 48 Review: Here There Are Monsters

From Goodreads:
The Blair Witch Project meets Imaginary Girls in this story of codependent sisterhood, the struggle to claim one's own space, and the power of secrets

Sixteen-year-old Skye is done playing the knight in shining armor for her insufferable younger sister, Deirdre. Moving across the country seems like the perfect chance to start over.

In their isolated new neighborhood, Skye manages to fit in, but Deirdre withdraws from everyone, becoming fixated on the swampy woods behind their house and building monstrous sculptures out of sticks and bones.

Then Deirdre disappears.

And when something awful comes scratching at Skye's window in the middle of the night, claiming she's the only one who can save Deirdre, Skye knows she will stop at nothing to bring her sister home. 

My Review:
Man, this book was dark and creepy, and I had such a great time reading it! I loved this story about these sisters who don't get along, and everything that unfolds once they get to their new house in such a spooky location!

I did previously start reading this book, and got a decent chunk in. I only put it down because I had it confused with another that I had to read urgently. Which is too bad, because I was having a really great time, and I don't know why it took me so long to then pick it up again! 

Skye and Deirdre have a strained relationship. They're sisters, they love each other, but Deirdre wants to spend more time with Skye, but Skye doesn't want to spend time with her weirdo sister. Then Deirdre disappears, and Skye takes it upon herself to find her and bring her home.

I wanted to know if Deirdre was actually in this world or if she was making it up. The uncertainty of what was going on, yeah, that kept the intrigue levels up and the pages flowing! It was a really great story that I really enjoyed reading! 

Loved reading this book, and I'll be interested in what Amelinda Bérubé writes next! 

Author: Amelinda Bérubé
Read: November 28th, 2022
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a A-Z Reading Challenge Book, RR Book, SAC 2022 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: August 1st 2019
5/5 Hearts
4.5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!