Saturday, December 3, 2022

Week 48 Review: The Six

From Goodreads:
To save humanity, they must give up their own.

Adam's muscular dystrophy has stolen his mobility, his friends, and in a few short years, it will take his life. Virtual reality games are Adam's only escape from his wheelchair. In his alternate world, he can defeat anyone. Running, jumping, scoring touchdowns: Adam is always the hero.

Then an artificial intelligence program, Sigma, hacks into Adam's game. Created by Adam's computer-genius father, Sigma has gone rogue, threatening Adam's life-and world domination. Their one chance to stop Sigma is using technology Adam's dad developed to digitally preserve the mind of his dying son.

Along with a select group of other terminally ill teens, Adam becomes one of the Six who have forfeited their bodies to inhabit weaponized robots. But with time running short, the Six must learn to manipulate their new mechanical forms and work together to train for epic combat...before Sigma destroys humanity.

My Review:
This was a really entertaining read! The idea of facing off against technology that his dad created-using other technology-was pretty interesting. And even though they're forfeiting terminally ill bodies, it's still sad that they were terminal in the first place. 

The idea of these kids becoming robots, basically, so that they can fight this rogue A.I. was a pretty intriguing idea. That Adam's dad was one of the ones that worked on the A.I. gave some added stakes, because his dad has been the one to take care of him.

I really enjoyed the moral questions that this book brought up, because they are taking their consciousness, basically, and putting them in machines. They're also fighting an A.I. that was created by humans. They were really great discussions, especially for a YA book! 

The fight scenes were something that I was looking forward to, to see what they were like. They were creative and I was entertained reading them, and oh, that final battle! There were some costs, and some events that I need to know how are going to affect things in the future! 

I had a great time reading this book, and I can't wait to continue! 

Author: Mark Alpert
Series: The Six #1
Read: November 28th, 2022
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2022 Book and a WTC Book!
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Published: July 7th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!