Saturday, July 4, 2020

Week 27 Review: Saving Red

From Goodreads:
Right before winter break, fourteen-year-old Molly Rosenberg reluctantly volunteers to participate in Santa Monica's annual homeless count, just to get her school's community service requirement out of the way. But when she ends up meeting Red, a spirited homeless girl only a few years older than she is, Molly makes it her mission to reunite her with her family in time for Christmas. This turns out to be extremely difficult—because Red refuses to talk about her past. There are things Molly won't talk about either. Like the awful thing that happened last winter. She may never be ready to talk about that. Not to Red, or to Cristo, the soulful boy she meets while riding the Ferris wheel one afternoon.

When Molly realizes that the friends who Red keeps mentioning are nothing more than voices inside Red's head, she becomes even more concerned about her well-being. How will Molly keep her safe until she can figure out a way to get Red home? In Sonya Sones' latest novel, two girls, with much more in common than they realize, give each other a new perspective on the meaning of family, friendship, and forgiveness.

My Review:
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know before going in that it was a novel in verse, because it's not in the synopsis, but it's in the author's bio on Goodreads that her books are novels in verse, so I found that out later. I'm not really interested in novels in verse, just not really my thing, this is the 3rd that I've read. I enjoyed it, but still not really interested in it.

This is a story about Molly, who something bad happened with her brother last New Years, and now it's almost a year later, around Christmas, and she just wants to help Red, who is homeless and maybe has a serious, diagnosed mental condition. Yeah.

Between her relationship with Red, and the phone only with a boy she just met, who when to New York for the holidays, well, Molly has a lot going on, and emotions are running high. I really enjoyed watching her try to do the right thing.

I really enjoyed that ending, it was up down up down, so many moments that hurt, that were fantastic, and while I wish there'd been a little more with the ending with Red, well, she's in a better position now, so that was great. And that last line, oh, that was a shot to the heart! Loved it! 

This was a really enjoyable read, because it is a novel in verse, I breezed through it, and I really enjoyed it!

Author: Sonya Sones
Read: June 28th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: October 18th 2016
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!