Saturday, September 19, 2020

Week 38 Review: Warbreaker

From Goodreads:
After bursting onto the fantasy scene with his acclaimed debut novel, Elantris, and following up with his blockbuster Mistborn trilogy, Brandon Sanderson proves again that he is today's leading master of what Tolkien called "secondary creation," the invention of whole worlds, complete with magics and myths all their own.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago.

Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren's capital city and where a power known as BioChromatic magic is based on an essence known as breath that can only be collected one unit at a time from individual people.

By using breath and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.

My Review:
Yeah, another great, fantastic book by Brandon Sanderson! I am really digging the Cosmere world, and I can't wait to continue with The Way of Kings, though I am a bit scared, given that they are over 1000 pages long, each. But I can't wait to read more!

So I really enjoyed reading about the magic in this world, with Breaths that everybody has, the God King and the lesser gods. It was just so interesting, and combined with the politics of the world, of Hallandren and Idris, well, there was a lot going on! Man, just so much politics in this book, and things going on in plain sight that I didn't catch until I was told about it! Plus, there were some really wicked betrays in this book! It was so fantastic to read!

I loved the various characters. I think it's a tie between Siri and Lightsong for my favourite perspectives, Siri had such an interesting role, being chosen instead of her sister to marry the God King. And Lightsong, he was just hilarious, he was so irreverent, and was hard to make sense of. I just really enjoyed reading about them both. Vivenna, I didn't like at first, she was pretty judgmental, but she learned a lot over the course of this book. And Vasher. Oh man, he was so interesting, but he had so little time in the spotlight! I hope we learn more about him in the sequel!

This isn't a standalone book, there is going to be a sequel. But not for a long time, since there's the Stormlight Archive series, as well as the Mistborn world, and the Elantris series. Plus the non-Cosmere books. But there's going to be a sequel, and we were given a thread of where it might go, so I'm excited for it!

This was a fantastic book, I loved it so much, and I can't wait for (though I will definitely have to) for the sequel!

Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Warbreaker #1, Cosmere
Read: September 14th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike
Reason Why: Love his writing and need to read more of the world, and it's a Prequel & Sequel challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: June 9th 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!