Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Reviews: The Road With No Return, The Last Wish


From Goodreads:
In the heart of the Amell mountains, in the pass of Klamat, lives a monstrosity which terrorizes the surrounding villages: the Kotchei. Visenna, druidess of the Circle of Mayen and magician, is the only one who can defeat this dreadful creature. On the way, she helps Korin, a fearless warrior who ends up accompanying him on his mission. Together, they venture on a perilous road, a road from which no one ever returns.

In this new novel, discover the meeting between Visenna, Geralt's mother, and Korin, whom some believe to be the father of the witcher. 

From Goodreads:
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.

And a cold-blooded killer.

His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good. . . and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories. I watched The Witcher tv show, and I enjoyed it, so I had to read these books. And the bonus is, that I'm going to get to know Geralt and Ciri's story before the show gets to air more seasons. Whoot! I really enjoyed getting to know Geralt, the world is hard for this witcher who is a bit at odds with his profession. Such a great story, and I'm so glad that I have so much story with him ahead of me!

The short story was a little confusing, I read a fan translated text, and between that and being thrown into an unfamiliar world, it was a bit disorienting. But I really enjoyed getting Geralt's mom and possibly his dad. And seeing how this world was before Geralt was born, some of the politics.

The Last Wish was really interesting to read. At first I was confused, because we got this one page thing, and then jumped into a story. Then it happened again. I was seeing the chapter headings, but it wasn't until we had repeated the pattern that I saw that it was a short story, bits and pieces of it, in between full short stories. So that was really great!

A few of the stories were in the first season, so they were familiar. There were a few changes, like the order, and having a tighter story, because Jaskier the bard-Dandelion in the book-was in the tv show episodes more than the book. But the tv show might've pulled from the first two short story collections. I'm going to have to read Sword of Destiny!

Loved reading these stories, and I can't wait to read more of this series!

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher #0.25, 0.5
Read: September 20th, 21st, 2020
Source: Online, Ebook.bike
Reason Why: I enjoyed the Netflix show, and the books sounded good, and they're Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books!
Publisher: Orbit
Published: August 1988, January 31st 1993

The Road With No Return:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars









The Last Wish:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!