Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Review: Among the Beasts & Briars

From Goodreads:
Cerys is safe in the kingdom of Aloriya.

Here there are no droughts, disease, or famine, and peace is everlasting. It has been this way for hundreds of years, since the first king made a bargain with the Lady who ruled the forest that borders the kingdom. But as Aloriya prospered, the woods grew dark, cursed, and forbidden. Cerys knows this all too well: when she was young, she barely escaped as the woods killed her friends and her mother. Now Cerys carries a small bit of the curse—the magic—in her blood, a reminder of the day she lost everything. The most danger she faces now, as a gardener's daughter, is the annoying fox who stalks the royal gardens and won’t leave her alone.

As a new queen is crowned, however, things long hidden in the woods descend on the kingdom itself. Cerys is forced on the run, her only companions the small fox from the garden, a strange and powerful bear, and the magic in her veins. It's up to her to find the legendary Lady of the Wilds and beg for a way to save her home. But the road is darker and more dangerous than she knows, and as secrets from the past are uncovered amid the teeth and roots of the forest, it's going to take everything she has just to survive. 

My Review:
This book was such a great read! I really enjoyed this story about the Royal Gardener's Daughter, and her fox companion! It was just so beautiful and wonderful and dark and I just loved reading it! This story was just such a great read!

Cerys was a great character. She thought that she had to stay rooted to her town, her role as the Royal Gardener's daughter. And then her best friend and future Queen-and pretty much everybody there at her crowning-becomes monsters, leaving only Cerys to keep the crown safe. Yeah.

I really enjoyed Fox as well. He had some secrets, some that he didn't know himself, and they turned out to be pretty important to this story, of course. But he was a really fun character to read about, he knew his weaknesses, and he was pretty sarcastic and hilarious, as well!

There was one theory that I had, and it basically got confirmed in the end. I did wish that it could've been played up a bit more, because there was one point in the climax where it would've been pretty interesting to see how it'd all play out. Alas!

That ending though! Not the climax, but those last two pages. If you've read this book, you know what I mean. They were totally unexpected, and I really hope that we get a companion novel with at least the 2nd page, if not the first as well! I just want more of this world and these characters!

I really enjoyed reading this book, and I really hope we get a companion novel!

Author: Ashley Poston
Read: September 20th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: I love her writing, and honestly, this cover is beautiful, and it sounded great, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: October 20th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!