Saturday, September 19, 2020

Week 38 Review: A Song of Wraiths and Ruin

From Goodreads:
The first in an immersive fantasy duology inspired by West African folklore in which a grieving crown princess and a desperate refugee find themselves on a collision course to murder each other despite their growing attraction—from debut author Roseanne A. Brown. Perfect for fans of Tomi Adeyemi, Renée Ahdieh, and Sabaa Tahir.

For Malik, the Solstasia festival is a chance to escape his war-stricken home and start a new life with his sisters in the prosperous desert city of Ziran. But when a vengeful spirit abducts Malik's younger sister, Nadia, as payment into the city, Malik strikes a fatal deal—kill Karina, Crown Princess of Ziran, for Nadia's freedom.

But Karina has deadly aspirations of her own. Her mother, the Sultana, has been assassinated; her court threatens mutiny; and Solstasia looms like a knife over her neck. Grief-stricken, Karina decides to resurrect her mother through ancient magic . . . requiring the beating heart of a king. And she knows just how to obtain one: by offering her hand in marriage to the victor of the Solstasia competition.

When Malik rigs his way into the contest, they are set on a heart-pounding course to destroy each other. But as attraction flares between them and ancient evils stir, will they be able to see their tasks to the death?

My Review:
Man, oh man, this book! I mean, it sounded really great, and I heard that lots of people have enjoyed it, but I just wasn't expecting it! I absolutely adored these characters, and this world, and I need more of them both, because this was just an excellent story!

I'm really glad that we're getting more books that are own voices, because honestly, we should've always had them, so I'm glad that they're getting the popularity that they have been, because these are some really excellent books. Including this one. Still need and want more, though!

I love the fact that besides one or two brief encounters, our two main leads didn't encounter each other until about halfway through this book. Their stories were intertwined, though they didn't know it, and the fact that we, the reader did, was just a fun little bit for me!

Plus the fact that he was going in to kill her, and she was expecting to kill her husband, well, that mix together made for thrilling reading! Of course, there was a lot of action, and a ton of secrets, and so many reveals! I just couldn't put this book down!

Oh, man, that ending! There was still so many pages left, but all these big things had already happened, it should be winding down now, right? Wrong! I loved how it kept going, and gave us even more, and it was an amazing ending!

This was such an excellent read, and I'm so thrilled that this is a series and that we get more!

Author: Roseanne A. Brown
Series: A Song of Wraiths and Ruin #1
Read: September 17th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a DAC Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Published: June 2nd 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!