Saturday, September 19, 2020

Week 38 Review: Star Daughter

From Goodreads:
This gorgeously imagined YA debut blends shades of Neil Gaiman's Stardust and a breathtaking landscape of Hindu mythology into a radiant contemporary fantasy.

The daughter of a star and a mortal, Sheetal is used to keeping secrets. Pretending to be "normal." But when an accidental flare of her starfire puts her human father in the hospital, Sheetal needs a full star's help to heal him. A star like her mother, who returned to the sky long ago.

Sheetal's quest to save her father will take her to a celestial court of shining wonders and dark shadows, where she must take the stage as her family's champion in a competition to decide the next ruling house of the heavens--and win, or risk never returning to Earth at all.

Brimming with celestial intrigue, this sparkling YA debut is perfect for fans of Roshani Chokshi and Laini Taylor. 

My Review:
This book was a really fantastic read! I really enjoyed the fact that Sheetal is both Indian and a Star. I don't know much about Hindu mythology, but I enjoyed reading about it! We were thrown in with not a lot of explanation given, but I really enjoyed reading Sheetal's story!

I really felt for Sheetal. Her mom left her to go back to be with the other stars, and now Sheetal has been called back, but in the process, burns her dad. And yeah, I didn't really like her grandmother, she was pretty manipulative. And while she has a reason for wanting to cut the stars off from humans, well, not all humans would do what was done to her sister. So pressuring Sheetal to do this to be able to heal her father was pretty awful!

Watching her deal with the fact that her-well, relationship status was up in the air, but we'll call him her boyfriend, Dev, was pretty great. After all, he hid from her that he knew that she was part star, and that he was about to back his cousin up in this star competition. So yeah, there's a lot of mixed feelings there, because he was a good boyfriend before that!

I really enjoyed the competition, that this group of humans are going to get inspired by stars, and that creation is going to decide which family of stars is going to rule next. It was great to watch Sheetal deal with the fact that she's human to be inspired, and star to inspire, and watching her go on that journey. Plus how everything worked out, man, was great to read, if slightly bittersweet!

This was a really great book, I loved watching her journey, and I can't wait to read more by Shveta Thakrar!

Author: Shveta Thakrar
Read: September 17th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded great, and it's a DAC Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: August 11th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!