Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Review: A Darker Shade of Magic

From Goodreads:
Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black.

Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see.

Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they'll never see. It's a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand.

After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure.

Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they'll first need to stay alive.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. I've enjoyed her other books, and her other adult book that I read, and I was interested in reading this book, the world sounded really great. And it was, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

This world with the different Londons, and various amounts of magic, and fewer and fewer people who can travel between the worlds, it's all just so interesting! I loved the world-building, and how intertwined with the plot it was!

Reading about Kell and Lila was so much fun. They're from different worlds-literally-and yet their stories are intertwined when she steals from him, and he recovers his stolen property. They were both so great to read about, and yeah that we have 2 more books following of them! And I'm not sure if it was a clue, or a red herring to make you think it was a clue, but mentions of eyes, has me wondering if Lelia is an Antari...

There was a little bit of politics in this book, between the different rulers of the different Londons. And that was a pretty interesting part of the plot, and I loved how it grew, and how it intertwined with what Kell and Lelia had going on! 

This was a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more (though it'll have to wait until after next week, because I'm weird, and I can only have one author's book(s) in a review, in a week, and Addie LaRue comes out next week, so I have to read that next!

Author: V.E. Schwab
Series: A Darker Shade of Magic #1
Read: September 23rd, 2020
Source: Own
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Tor Books
Published: February 24th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good series! I’m excited for Addie LaRue too.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series! And Addie LaRue just sounds really great! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!