Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Review: The Aftermath

From Goodreads:
Sometimes, I dream that I'm someone else.

A girl with dark hair who doesn't worry about hunger or thirst or running from flesh-eaters.

In her world, those sorts of things don't exist.

Since the spring of 2036, when the world changed forever, Claudia and a small clan of survivors have roamed the streets of a very altered Nashville: polluted and desolate, except for the ever-present threat of cannibal Hoarders. Together they must undergo punishing tests of endurance and psychological challenge sometimes with devastating consequences all just to live another day.

With food and water in dwindling supply, and with danger lurking around every corner, no one can be trusted. And as her world starts to make less and less sense, Claudia begins to realize something terrifying: she is just a pawn in some sort of game, and all of her actions are being controlled from afar by a mysterious gamer. So when she meets a maddening and fascinating outsider named Declan, who claims to be a game moderator, she must decide whether to join him in exchange for protection and access to the border.

If they play the game right, they are each other's best hope for survival and a life beyond the only world Claudia's ever known: the terrifying live-action game known as The Aftermath. 

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. This whole idea of an apocalyptical future is interesting, but this has been done with a twist-that it's a game, where the characters are real people being controlled by the players. Yeah. Pretty intense!

I really enjoyed reading about Claudia, as she learns the truth about the world that she lives in, and discovers how she's different, and how to use that against the system. I felt so bad for her, being stuck in this world.

The whole concept of the games-that if you have this gene, then you have to play for treatment, and if you can't pay, you become the character, is pretty awful. And given that all the citizens should've had sufficient means to live on, well, there was something off about the whole situation!

One that that I knew going in, was that while it said this was a series, and Goodreads has a sequel listed, it was said that it should've come out in 2016. And it didn't. And the author's social media pages haven't posted on in years. So it's unlikely that we'll get that sequel. And I'm sad, because I want to know where the story goes from here!

Loved reading this book, it was so great, I only wish we'll get the sequel!

Author: Jen Alexander
Series: The Aftermath #1
Read: September 19th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a 2020 Dystopia Book, A-Z Reading Challenge Book, DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: August 26th 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!